Cyril Kenchington was an Alton citizen and was general manager of Wrights, a road building equipment company (road rollers etc.) situated on the side road at The Butts, Alton. He was a good friend to Arthur Hay, one of our past presidents and a hard working club member.
The Cup was first competed for in 1952 as a motor cycle Trial starting from Wyck Farm (Mr Wall) and included a lot of road work. Competitors travelled to Binsted with sections there, then across country to Priory Farm, Selborne (Mr Eddie Lucas). After those sections in the river etc., they went up to Wick Hill Farm (Mr Chapell) and then back to Worldham and finally Wyck Farm.
The Trial continued in this format with Bill Oliver as Clerk of the Course for several years until restrictions on competitors riding on public roads led to the Trial being set out entirely on private land. With the kind permission of Mr Beech of Priory Farm and Mr Chapell of Wick Hill Farm, this area became the home of Kenchington Trophy Trial.
From around 1980 the Trial was held entirely on Wick Hill Farm with the kind permission and encouragement of the Vigar family, initially starting from the farm yard using the entire farm and later confined to the testing “Valley”. During this time the clerk was invariably Mick Coles.
2011 to 2013 the venue was Bushy Hanger, Steep Marsh, Butser Lime Works in 2014 then Bushy Hanger again in 2015.