Cyril Kenchington was an Alton citizen and was general manager of Wrights, a road
building equipment company (road rollers etc.) situated on the side road at The Butts,
Alton. He was a good friend to Arthur Hay, one of our past presidents and a hard
working club member.
The Cup was first competed for in 1952 as a motor cycle Trial starting from Wyck
Farm (Mr Wall) and included a lot of road work. Competitors travelled to Binsted
with sections there, then across country to Priory Farm, Selborne (Mr Eddie Lucas).
After those sections in the river etc., they went up to Wick Hill Farm (Mr Chapell)
and then back to Worldham and finally Wyck Farm.
The Trial continued in this format with Bill Oliver as Clerk of the Course for several
years until restrictions on competitors riding on public roads led to the Trial being
set out entirely on private land. With the kind permission of Mr Beech of Priory
Farm and Mr Chapell of Wick Hill Farm, this area became the home of Kenchington Trophy
From around 1980 the Trial was held at Wick Hill Farm with the kind permission and
encouragement of the Vigar family, initially starting from the farm yard using the
entire farm and later confined to testing “Valley”. During this time the clerk was
invariably Mick Coles.