Cyril Kenchington was an Alton citizen and was general manager of Wrights, a road
building equipment company (road rollers etc.) situated on the side road at The Butts,
Alton. He was a good friend to Arthur Hay, one of our past presidents and a hard
working club member.
The Cup was first competed for in 1952 as a motor cycle Trial starting from Wyck
Farm (Mr Wall) and included a lot of road work. Competitors travelled to Binsted
with sections there, then across country to Priory Farm, Selborne (Mr Eddie Lucas).
After those sections in the river etc., they went up to Wick Hill Farm (Mr Chapell)
and then back to Worldham and finally Wyck Farm.
The Trial continued in this format with the late Bill Oliver as Clerk of the Course
for several years until restrictions on competitors riding on public roads led to
the Trial being set out entirely on private land. With the kind permission of Mr
Beech of Priory Farm and Mr Chapell of Wick Hill Farm, this area became the home
of Kenchington Trophy Trial.