Welcome to the site of the 2004 Kenchington Trophy Trial in its fifty second year.
Held at Wick Hill Farm, near Selborne, Alton on Sunday 1st February 2004. Secretary of this meeting was: Mike Hutchings.
Here are a few details about the cup donor from whom the name originated and of The Kenchington Trophy Trial’s early history.
Cyril Kenchington was an Alton citizen and was general manager of Wrights, a road building equipment company (road rollers etc.) situated on the side road at The Butts, Alton. He was a good friend to Arthur Hay, one of our past presidents and a hard working club member.
The Cup was first competed for in 1952 as a motor cycle Trial starting from Wyck Farm (Mr Wall) and included a lot of road work. Competitors traveled to Binsted with sections there, then across country to Priory Farm, Selborne (Mr Eddie Lucas). After those sections in the river etc., they went up to Wick Hill Farm (Mr Chapell) and then back to Worldham and finally Wyck Farm.
The Trial continued in this format with the late Bill Oliver as Clerk of the Course for several years until restrictions on competitors riding on public roads led to the Trial being set out entirely on private land. With the kind permission of Mr Beech of Priory Farm and Mr Chapell of Wick Hill Farm, this area became the home of Kenchington Trophy Trial.
The Kenchington The name and history By Jack & Phyl Blackman
Some the helpers that helped run this event- Clockwise - Alan Blackman, Mike Hutchings, Stan Moody, Dave Adams, Jim Daffin and Chris Neville, many thanks chaps.